Friday, December 31, 2010

Just wondering....

I spend a considerable portion of my life in the spiritual/cognitive state of "Wondering Why..."  I wonder why a wet golden retriever won't shake UNTIL he leaves the easily wipable confinement of the shower stall.  I wonder why the phone book font is so small.  I wonder why one friend's cancer was cured and another's returned.  I wonder why I live in the midst of plenitude while others have so little.  I wonder why I seem to NEED an item within a week of finally discarding it.  I wonder why I'm the only person I know who doesn't like asparagus.  I wonder why I can remember my second grade teacher's birthday but forget the name of the newcomer I met at church.  You get the picture.....

Sometimes my wonderings propel me toward answers.  But more often than not, those wonderings nudge me toward the heart of mystery where I encounter God.  God in the uncertainty of my own capabilities...God in the renewal and re-creation of the brokenness of life...God in the unexpected joys and life-changing moments....God in the opportunities to take a risk and make a difference...God in the chance encounters that disguise new beginnings.   Grace abounds. I wonder where you and I will encounter it today? 

2 comments:

  1. My friend, Debbie, is "just wondering" how to post comments. It is pretty straightforward. Click on the white comment box and tell me what you are wondering these days. When you are finished, click "Post Comment." If that doesn't work, please email me and I'll check into it. Welcome and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to read you in the Blogosphere, Sam. What a wonderful way to start out the new year... The ambiguity of much of life and the irretrievable finality of some of it can make for much discomfort and have sent me underground lately, hoping solitude might lead to some enlightenment, A labyrinth walk today turned on one dim lightbulb; when one's in a cave, even a bit of light starts transforming the shadows.

    Look forward to continuing to read your explorations. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete